Friday, February 5, 2016

Fear of Failure



I struggle constantly with feeling like I don't measure up.  I know that we will never be perfect until we get to heaven.  I know that perfection in this world is flawed by perspective anyway.  I know that God isn't done with me, yet I hear the message of the evil one over and over telling me that I just don't belong, don't contribute, am a failure.  I'm not good enough, I am stupid and nobody likes me. He continually lies and works to drag me down.  He points out my mistakes, and I struggle to forgive myself even though I know that I am forgiven.  This is indeed one of my greatest battles in life. 


I find it is worse when I am tired and worn out.  It is aggravated by the war of hormones in my body.  It is exacerbated by both my own sin and others' sin toward me.  Sometimes it makes sense.  Sometimes it doesn't. 


I am afraid because I know that if my children don't understand that ultimately this is a spiritual battle raging both inside me and them, that they won't understand that the only way to overcome it is with the truth. 


The truth is that we have been "fearfully and wonderfully made", that "God is for us, not against us", that everyone has a unique spiritual gifting that God is using in His ultimate plan.  The truth is that we "have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God", that "there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus", and that "the Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children".  Anyone who has children and loves them well knows that a parent would do anything for his children and that if we are God's children, He loves us even better than that.  Why can't we hold on to that truth?


It is because we have to consistently be refilled.  The world is not a perfect place.  We are not perfect people.  We have battles to wage, and our resources are being depleted.  If we try to do it on our own, we will quickly fail.  I guess it is kind of like a racetrack with the Holy Spirit right there with us and filling stations all along the way.  If we focus only on the road without seeking the direction of our Holy Spirit "guide", and refuse to utilize the fuel, maintenance, and rest stops along the way, we will eventually wear out.  Satan will find it easier to catch up with us and take advantages of our weak spots. 


Especially as mothers, we give and give and give.  We forget that our very survival depends on being refilled.  I feel depleted...that's why I write today, to remind myself and to encourage you.  I already feel more focused and hope that my words will help at least one person know that they are not alone.  I do this for me, and I do this for you.  While writing is therapeutic for me, I know that God can powerfully use these words to touch others in ways that I will never know.  So, please share if you feel led, and thank you for being my encouragement. 


Psalm 139:14
New International Version (NIV)

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.

Romans 8:31
New International Version (NIV)

What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?

Romans 3:23
New International Version (NIV)


for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,  


Romans 8:1-4
New International Version (NIV)

1Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. 3For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering.  And so he condemned sin in the flesh, 4in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.